Seasons are a cruel and fantastic mystery that destroys and begets new life.
Winter was long, cold, and harsh. Summer was short, mild, and dark.
Kill it while you can. Kill it before it kills you.
Streaming above (and link here), and dowloaded-and-downloadable soon enough.
Arizona Utility To Pay Consumers For Rooftop Space For Solar
Michael Kanellos, forbes.com
Will consumers let utilities use their roof for $30 a month?
Arizona Public Service, the dominant utility in the state, has filed for permission to install approximately 20 megawatts of solar on 3,000 homes in its service…
About eight years ago I heard about this potentially happening in Los Angeles; so, what happened?
We hear so infrequently about this roof-rental model compared to a feed-in tariff model. Roof-rental seems easier for landlords or home owners to say ‘yes’ to solar, rather than a feed-in model which downloads all of the costs of the initial investment in panels to consumers. I think people would sooner rent out their roof to a utility company for solar energy than finance solar panels themselves with the hope of one day breaking even before making money on their investment.
Maybe utilities companies don’t want to be on the hook for peoples roofs, and maybe insurance companies don’t even have a clause for this.
I would be surprised if this was replicated widely in other communities without addressing issues of liability for property damages and insurers to accommodating it. Maybe the feed-in tariff model is simpler after all.
Brooklyn Gang Series - 1959
Bruce Davidson, the iconic photographer known for his pictures of the New York City subway, The Dwarf, East 100th Street, and the Brooklyn Gang, also photographed the street gang called the Jokers, of which Bengie was the leader (last photo). video link
Davidson is mainly interested in documenting the struggles and triumphs of people as they go through their lives - the American Dream laid bare.
"My pictures are not escapes from reality, but a contemplation of reality, so that I can experience life in a deeper way."“If I am looking for a story at all, it is in my relationship to the subject - the story that tells me, rather than that I tell. ”©bruce davidson.all rights reserved / “Bobby’s Book,” published by Seven Stories Press.
- Barack Obama: I demand that Israel agrees to an immediate, unilateral ceasefire and halt all offensive activities, in particular airstrikes.
- Benjamin Netanyahu: And what will Israel receive in exchange for a ceasefire?
- BO: I believe that Hamas will cease its rocket fire — silence will be met with silence.
- BN: Hamas broke all five previous ceasefires. It’s a terrorist organization dedicated to the destruction of Israel.
- BO: I repeat and expect Israel to stop all its military activities unilaterally. The pictures of destruction in Gaza distance the world from Israel’s position.
- BN: Kerry’s proposal was completely unrealistic and gives Hamas military and diplomatic advantages.
- BO: Within a week of the end of Israel’s military activities, Qatar and Turkey will begin negotiations with Hamas based on the 2012 understandings, including Israel’s commitment to removing the siege and restrictions on Gaza.
- BN: Qatar and Turkey are the biggest supporters of Hamas. It’s impossible to rely on them to be fair mediators.
- BO: I trust Qatar and Turkey. Israel is not in the position that it can choose its mediators.
- BN: I protest because Hamas can continue to launch rockets and use tunnels for terror attacks –
- BO: (interrupting Netanyahu) The ball’s in Israel’s court, and it must end all its military activities.
Labor is not the source of all wealth. Nature is just as much the source of use values (and it is surely of such that material wealth consists!) as labor, which itself is only the manifestation of a force of nature, human labor power. The above phrase (“labor is the source of all wealth and all culture”) is to be found in all children’s primers and is correct I so far as it is implied that labor is performed with the appurtenant subjects and instruments. But a socialist program cannot allow such bourgeois phrases to pass over in silence the conditions that alone give them meaning. And in so far as man from the beginning behaves toward nature, treats her as belonging to him, his labor becomes the source of use values, therefore also of wealth. The bourgeoisi have very good grounds for falsely ascribing supernatural creative power to labor; since precisely form the fact that labor depends on nature it follows that the man who possess no other property than his labor power must, in all conditions of society and culture, be the slave of other men who have made themselves the owners of the material conditions of labor.
Marx, Critique of the Gotha Program
Marx writing against the idea that labor is the source of value.(via socio-logic)
Oasis Skateboard Factory is at Oasis Alternative Secondary School, one of 22 alternative secondary schools in Toronto. Watch the video and learn more here http://t.co/qfaqOzjMHO
If you see a UFO today, this may be it. NASA is testing Mars landing designs.
Wildflowering L.A. is a native wildflower seed sowing initiative throughout Los Angeles County by artist Fritz Haeg.
Fifty highly visible sites are sown in fall 2013 to bloom in spring 2014, culminating in a public exhibition and event in early summer. The project is presented by LAND (Los Angeles Nomadic Division) in partnership with the Theodore Payne Foundation.
Read more: http://wildflowering.org/